VOLVO FH16 Recovery Truck

I got the idea to build this truck from the internet. I wanted to build a truck for hauling large dumpsters, but with the lack of pieces in my collection like pneumatics and electrical, I decided to build a recovery truck.

Note: This truck is built from images only with a few ideas of my own.

The Model

As always, I start building the cab first. Although building this cab is similar to the Scania, it has some differences. Again Iíve used a popular color that I have in my collection. The biggest problem I had with the cab was getting the doors to fit and work without jamming and to fit when the cab is tilted.

The cab is outfitted with high backed seats, curved dash, opening doors and outside compartment doors, rear view mirrors, and sun visor. The inside has a single bunk with storage space underneath and storage space above the windshield.

The front of the cab is done up with labels that Iíve created on the computer. The headlights are stickers because I couldnít find any Lego pieces that would fit as headlights. The grill is also made from stickers. Also the grill and hood can be opened to check engine oil and other fluid levels. The hood has to be opened before tilting cab.

The frame is pretty straight forward with two straight side rails with supports in between. It is fitted with a six cylinder turbo diesel engine and transmission. The large air filter is mounted at the rear of the engine. The rear tandem axles both have differentials that work and turn the driveshaft to the transmission. The fuel tank is located on the right side of the frame and a large storage box on the left side of the frame. There is a large muffler on the right side behind the front wheel with a large pipe going across to a smaller muffler and exits on the driversí side. The battery boxes and air tanks are mounted near the exhaust outlet on the driversí side.

The main objective of this truck was to make it with a working rear deck. Although this came with many hours of trial and error, I finally came up with a combination that works. On the real trucks this is all done with hydraulics, but since Lego has no hydraulics I had to create another means of doing this. With the use of a nine volt motor mounted behind the large muffler, some gears mounted on the right side of the frame, and a rack and pinion in the middle of the frame I got the final combination I wanted.

Even though it sounds simple enough, with the weight of the deck it was hard to keep the gears tight enough not to jump apart when moving the deck. On the front of the deck is a nine volt motor with two pulleys for pulling the load up on the deck when the deck is tilted. I could get the deck to move back only about an inch before starting to tip because the gears on the rack and pinion contacted the motor on front of the deck. I was quite surprised to see this all in action and that it really works as planned.

For the final touch, I wanted to put a bumper at the rear of the deck and attached to the frame of the truck. This bumper has to collapse and move out of the way and possibly give some support to the deck when tilted. Again this took some thinking to get to work. You can tell by the photos what takes place when the deck is tilted.

I am quite pleased with the way this truck turned out overall because of the length of time that was put into it. You can also see another version of this truck here.

By the way the vehicle demonstrated on the truck in these photos is Technic kit # 8435 which I have modified. Although it is supposed to be a 4WD, it is only a 2WD Jeep.

Details: